Saturday, February 6, 2016

Our First Project Together

Mom and I enjoy sewing.  Mom has always been sewing, as long as I can remember, making my sister and I clothes, or clothes for our dolls, purses, bags, pillows, etc.  It wasn't until about 13 years ago that she started quilting.  She still continues to try various other sewing endeavors, but quilting is the main craft that occurs at our house.

I started quilting shortly after mom, and have loved sharing this hobby with her.  I ask for her help often, we shop for supplies together, and have a sewing room that we share.  We spend many weekends working on our individual projects, listening to music, laughing ... but we have never worked on one project together, until now!

In December, on one of our shopping trips to a local fabric store, we spotted a quilt sample the store had created and hung to showcase some material.  I loved the country-ish style and the thirty-ish type of prints they used, and of course I said, "Wouldn't this look great as a wall hanging in our kitchen?"  So 5 minutes later we bought the book that this sample came from.

"Farm Girl Vintage" by Lori Holt of Bee in My Bonnet

Isn't this fun?   We are going to make it a bit smaller and horizontal instead of vertical to go on a big blank wall in the kitchen.

I love a scrappy quilt, and we can do a lot of these blocks with some scraps and other material already in our stash. We just picked up the background fabric last weekend and decided to get started.  I suggested we each do one block per weekend.  And then Mom said ... "Let's make a blog!"  Yay! I totally love the idea of sharing our progress.  This is going to be fun!

So here are our first two blocks!  Mom made "Kettle's On" and I made "Scrappy Strawberry". I think I had way more issues than she did.  The finished block size is 6 inches square, and in the book Lori suggests pressing the seams open.  So I tried that ... but when I went to sew my rows together, I had a very hard time matching seams. I had to rip out twice and repress the seams so they would "nest".  I finally got most of them to match and am loving the scrappy result.

There is a pumpkin block very similar to the strawberry. I told Mom she will be doing that one!  :)

Until next time ... Happy Sewing!

Cat and Sue




No comments:

Post a Comment