Wednesday, April 3, 2019

A2Z Challenge: Block C

Clay's Choice, Chisholm Trail, and Churn Dash

When I decided to complete my homespun project for the A to Z Challenge, the first thing I did was pull out the blocks I already had made and found names for each one.  Then I decided what other blocks I wanted to make to complete my alphabet and the rest of the quilt top.

These three blocks were of the group already created.  I made the choice long ago to have some blocks with more dark material around the outside and a small amount of neutral in the middle.  Clay's Choice (in blue) was the perfect block for this.  I love the cream pinwheel in the center!


Chisholm Trail (in burgundy) is still one of my favorite blocks.  It always amazes me how many different combinations half-square triangles and solid squares can make.  I can imagine an entire "scrappy" quilt made with this block!  Oh-no ... I cannot take on another project ... yet!  :)

Lastly ... the very Christmas-y, total classic Churn Dash, in my opinion needed to be in my quilt for it to be a true sampler.  I started this project when I was first learning to make quilts.  The Churn Dash is so simple that I think it was probably block number 1.  This version is a remake ... when I put the border on my first try, I lost a bunch of triangle points.  I think I probably trimmed the block, not knowing any better at the time.  But this was an easy one to fix, and I really do love the red and green together.

Wow!  This was a wordy one.  I hope you are enjoying my journey.

Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow!  Happy sewing!

Cat

Note:  If you are new to "Blogging from A to Z", check out their website here.  This is my second year participating, but my first on this blog.  For an introduction to my A to Z project, read my preview blog post for this year posted here.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like Clay's Choice. These all look great with the homespuns. I've saved fabrics from all my husbands old shirts - lots of plaids and stripes - and plan to do something with them someday... I look forward to seeing how your entire quilt turns out!
    Black and White: C is for Cherufe

    ReplyDelete