Thursday, April 4, 2019

A2Z Challenge: Block D

Double X, Dutchman's Puzzle, and Darting Birds

Just like the "C" blocks posted yesterday, these 3 blocks were created early on in my homespun project.

The Double X block pattern from "501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks" does not have the bordered square in the center.  I have no memory of why I did this ... I can't think of a reason why I would have changed the block.  But I do like the effect!

Dutchman's Puzzle is another one of my favorite blocks.  I'm not a fan of Flying Geese, so I would not do a whole quilt of Dutchman's Puzzle blocks, but I like the way it looks.  It's another one of those classics (like the Churn Dash) that I just feel needs to be in any sampler.

Darting Birds is another one of the 9-patch type blocks made with half-square triangles and solid squares.  I like to make these types of blocks because of the simplicity of them, and they give a good mix with the more complicated looking blocks.

Well, my quilt will be 7 rows with 6 blocks in each row, for 42 blocks total.  Row 1 is done ... sashed and sewed together!!  I will post that picture on Saturday with F.

Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow!  Happy sewing!

Cat
Note:  If you are new to "Blogging from A to Z", check out their website here.  This is my second year participating, but my first on this blog.  For an introduction to my A to Z project, read my preview blog post for this year posted here.

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool. Our most precious gift is the quilt my grandma and her sisters made as a wedding gift. I wish I had the gift to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I have a quilt my grandmother hand quilted for me. It is one of my prized possessions. I don't have desire to hand-quilt, but find it so amazing!

      Delete
  2. I have the 501 Rotary Cut Quilt Blocks and it served me very well in my past challenges. Very very good book for the 'library'.
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree ... no quilting area should be without this book. I have referenced it many times over the years. Thanks for stopping by Stephanie!

      Delete