Saturday, April 6, 2019

A2Z Challenge: Block F

Fifty-Four Forty and Friendship Quilt


The two blocks for "F" are both older-made blocks, but they were probably the last ones made before this project was put away for the last time.  Did you notice that both of them are a nine-patch?  So easy!!

If I had to pick one block as my favorite of all the blocks made so far, it would be Fifty-Four Forty.  My grandmother had created one of these blocks as a sample for some project, and when she passed my mom got a lot of her quilting things.  This block was up on our design wall for a while,  It made me happy every time I looked at it.  When I decided I wanted it in my sampler I immediately looked for the pattern.  I had a really hard time finding it because of the way the colors were arranged ... but finally found a 9" one and made it instantly!  Love, love, love!!

When I first started looking for homespun material, most of it was dark shades of blue, green, red, and brown plaids.  I found this orange homespun and just knew I had to have a block with an orange focus and less neutral.  The Friendship Quilt block is about half orange and makes a real statement in the middle of some of the other blocks.

So, with week 1 of the A to Z Challenge done, I have a total of 11 blocks, which is almost two rows done.  The first row is completely sewn together and is now off the design wall to make room for next weeks blocks.



Thanks for stopping by!  See you on Monday!  Happy sewing!

Cat

Note:  If you are new to "Blogging from A to Z", check out their website here.  This is my second year participating, but my first on this blog.  For an introduction to my A to Z project, read my preview blog post for this year posted here.


4 comments:

  1. That quilt is going to be something to see by the end of the month!
    I'm not a quilter but I'm always intrigued by the pattern, so this is interesting stuff.
    Happy A-Z'ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to see it altogether also! Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. I may not be putting it all together til after the challenge. We shall see.....
    Yours looks awesome!
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! I'm sorry to not have checked yours out in a couple days. I will catch up later this week!

      Delete