Thursday, April 11, 2019

A2Z Challenge: Block J

Jefferson City


I'm coming to realize that with every sewing project (at least for me), there will be a time somewhere in the middle of the project which totally tries my patience, where everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and that will make me evaluate my choice of hobbies.  From the beginning, block "J" was a pain the <insert bad word here>.

There wasn't many "J" choices in the two books I am trying to use, and what was there I didn't really like.  I picked Jefferson City first, then changed my mind, then changed it back a few times over.  I am trying to use as many different homespun colors and patterns as possible.  So I picked material from my box of homespun for this block and realized it wasn't homespun.  I don't even know where that fat-quarter came from, but having to change material also caused another change in block choice. 

Finally, I settled on Jefferson City, a green theme, and got the pieces cut out without mishap.  This block is sewn together diagonally (on point) ... I'm not a fan of on-point set quilts.  I had to rip out seams three times.  My sewing machine also picked this block to fight me every time I had to sew over seams.  I had the block half done and just stopped, left the sewing room, not to return for a couple days.

At last, I finally got the block done.  I got the borders attached and set it on the cutting table to trim to size.  It was sitting right next to the book, page open to this pattern ... OMG I sewed it together wrong!!  Normally  I wouldn't own up to this.  The block still looks good, even with the colors in the wrong places, but I felt that this whole experience needed to be documented!!  LOL!

This is it ... no more problems ... I got them all out of the way with "J".  Smooth sailing from here on out!  Fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks for stopping by!  See you tomorrow!  Happy sewing!

Cat

Note:  If you are new to "Blogging from A to Z", check out their website here.  This is my second year participating, but my first on this blog.  For an introduction to my A to Z project, read my preview blog post for this year posted here.

3 comments:

  1. I relate. Currently have a block on the ironing board waiting for the weekend to begin. It was just enough already lol
    Stephanie Finnell
    @randallbychance from
    Katy Trail Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the darn thing finished! There is always that "good enough" point, and I'd say you definitely reached it.
    Black and White: J is for Jubjub

    ReplyDelete